Yield: 24 cookies
½ cup vegetable oil
1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups chilled sweet potato purée (from about 2 sweet potatoes)
1 large egg
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
½ Tablespoon ground ginger
½ Tablespoon ground cloves
For the icing:
¾ cup of mini marshmallows
¼ teaspon vanilla
2 Tablespoons butter
Dash of milk
For the Candied Pecan topping:
¼ pound candied pecans, chopped
1 Tablespoon vanilla
½ cup packed brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix together the oil, sugar, vanilla and pureed sweet potatoes in a medium bowl. Then add the egg.
3. In a separate bowl mix flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Mix dry ingredients slowly into wet ingredients.
4. Dollop onto baking sheets and bake 10 minutes or until springy (don’t over-bake).
5. Let cookies cool on wire racks. Meanwhile melt marshmallows, butter, vanilla and milk for icing in the microwave. Then drizzle on cookies.
6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Turn the oven up to 375 degrees.
7. For the topping, mix pecans, vanilla and ½ cup brown sugar together and spread over parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and let cool. Then sprinkle on top of cookies.
Per serving: 185 calories; 8g fat; 1.5g saturated fat; 10mg cholesterol; 2g protein; 27g carbohydrate; 17g sugar; 1g fiber; 115mg sodium; 30mg calcium.